05-07-2017 Vol 57 Issue 02

The Rotary Club of Berwick meets
Every Wednesday evening at
Holm Park Reserve
(Beaconsfield Football Club)
Emerald-Beaconsfield Road
6.30 for a 7.00pm start

Please email your apology
or book in your guest to
All bookings and apologies
To submitted by 10.00 am on
Tuesday prior to the meeting.
This weeks Meeting Responsibilities
Dominguez, Gus
Boon, Eric
Collyer, David
Batterham, Peter
Rosenthal, John
Julie Allgood              8 July
Roger Gordon            8 July
Rosemarie Hughes  8 July
Murray Newby           10 July
Steve Paton                 14 July
Doug & Rhonda Anderson  2 July
Gary & Carol Evans         7 July

RI President:
Ian Riseley
District 9820 Governor:
Don Ripper
2017-2018 Rotary Club of Berwick Board
Vice President:
Public Image:
Service Projects:
Upcoming Events
District 9820 Rotaract Changeover
Ranfurlie Golf Course
Jul 08, 2017 6:30 PM
District Changeover
Premier Function Centre
Jul 09, 2017
Casey North CISS
Holm Park Recreation Reserve
Jul 12, 2017
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Board Meeting
Jul 17, 2017
7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Behind the Badge: Rob Wingrave
Holm Park Recreation Reserve
Jul 19, 2017
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Berwick Farmers & Craft Market
The Old Cheese Factory
Jul 22, 2017
8:00 AM – 12:30 PM
Irabina Autism Services
Holm Park Recreation Reserve
Jul 26, 2017
6:30 PM – 8:30 PM

Ricardo welcomed everyone and noted a few faces we have missed.     PP Bruce Shaw  and Darius Mikolajewski injured his foot.  Good to see them both.  Also we had two guests, Lyndon Samuel with his wife Annette.  They haven’t been to a Rotary Meeting before.
Pres Ricardo began to explain that there has been a lot of work done in preparation for the coming year.  For the coming Service Night – it should be used to look to the future to make plans for our Club.  Each person on the new Board and Committees was introduced and they spoke of what their plans were for our Club for 2017-2018.  The enthusiasm was great.  Lots of smiles and ideas.
 Gerald Treasure spoke first about birthdays and anniversaries that he will be handling.  Jim Wilson spoke next as our new Secretary.  He said that the Board Meeting is on July 17 at Ricardo’s home.  Jim reminded everyone that they need to let the Club know if they are not attending the regular Club meetings for whatever reason.  It is important that we are aware of who will be attending and who may apply for leave.  Wendy Langdon remains our Treasurer. 
This was our last week with Lisa our Exchange Student from Germany.   She told us all about her adventures for the past week.  She was very happy she went to Puffing Billy last Monday and she enjoyed it.  Each week we saw photos of places she visited and she covered a great deal of Australia during her stay.  She is hoping that in the future she will come back to see everyone. 

Saturday September 16, 2017 from 10.00am till 4.00pm


A community initiative proudly hosted by Nossal High School and the Rotary Club of Berwick
The focus is a community event showing culture, food, wine and entertainment.
The intent is it will be a high quality annual event that both the school and the
Rotary Club can be proud of.  The event will take place at Nossal High School (on the grounds of
Monash/Federation University) in Clyde Road, Berwick
It is envisaged that the South East Feast will become an eagerly anticipated annual community event,
celebrating the cultural diversity of our region.
Interspersed among the authentic cuisine from the many different cultural
groups that make up our thriving community will be locally produced, gourmet
products, craft beers and wines from the South East and Gippsland Gourmet Regions.
Plenty of tables and seating will be available for people to enjoy a central
stage which will play host to a succession of cultural and musical
performances. There will be interactive activities, buskers and amusements to
entertain both young and old.
There is a Sponsorship Package with the email sent recently about this event.
Already there are some large companies looking to be sponsors and the more
we all can help in encouraging companies to become a sponsor the better it will be.
Any support you can give Jack with this project it would be appreciated.
Pres Ricardo Balancy discussed what we, as a Club, would focus on for the coming year.  The Rotary International Strategic Priorities for 2017-18, and the objectives set out against these will form the basis for our work during the year. Ricardo provided members with an overview of the priorities and outlined how the club is positioned to achieve the objectives. Achieving these objective would place the Club in a good position to earn an Rotary International Presidential Citation 
Rotary International Strategic Priorities 2017-18
Support and Strengthen Clubs

Having members with different perspectives and backgrounds fuels innovation and gives your club a broader understanding of your community’s needs.
To strengthen your club and its ability to make a positive difference…
• involve members,
• use their unique skills and interests, and
• give them a voice in the club’s future.
Increase club membership, diversity, and engagement.
Focus and Increase Humanitarian Service

Through local and international service projects, clubs address global humanitarian challenges by promoting peace, fighting disease, providing clean water, saving mothers and children, supporting education, growing local economies, protecting the environment, and ending polio.

Make a difference in your community and across the globe by
• engaging Rotarians, young people, Rotary alumni, and the public in Rotary programs,
• our six areas of focus, and
• Rotary Foundation giving opportunities.
Enhance Rotary’s Public Image and Awareness

A positive public image improves your club’s relationship with your community and attracts prospective members.
Enhance your club’s public image and build awareness of Rotary in your community by…

• telling compelling stories about club activities that are making a positive difference.

RI Presidential Citation
Jane advised that the Public Image committee will work to achieve the goals and objectives as set out by the RI President and his team of advisors. Jane believes that the Rotary Club of Berwick is already closely aligned to, and already achieving, many of the objectives, and that the criteria for Presidential Citation will provide a great blueprint upon which to base our own planning for 2017-18.
Club Promotion
The Public Image committee will rely heavily on information from all projects and events chairs and members to be able to promote Club activities across all media, and to present a vibrant image to visitors and the public. Jane reiterated that anyone responsible for promoting the club in any way, must use the Rotary Club of Berwick logo to create brand recognition and promote “the good we do”.
Jane also announced that Viv Armstrong will continue to be the “go to” person for printed media, and that David Button and Isobel Caulfield will be the key contacts for our website and Facebook page. Work is also underway so we can schedule posting of local, district and international Rotary events on social media to keep the pages vibrant, fresh and active. In time, members will be invited to share their personal Rotary stories via social media to inspire non-Rotarians.

REPORT FROM - PP Terry Carmichael – Vice-President
1.       Global Grant to Provide Potable Water to Philippine Villages
The grant was completed in June and has now been authorised by all parties. The decision to proceed now rests with the Rotary Foundation;

2.     Berwick Farmers and Craft Market
The conduct of the market is under review. At present:
a.       Stallholders: We have a reliable group of regular stallholders with good diversity and we are generally able to make up satisfactory numbers for each market (between 35 and 45)
b.      Volunteers: Club Rotarians continue to support the running of the market which allows us to continue to operate successfully
c.       Customers: Customer numbers continue to fall which is the greatest concern – this despite the good work of David Button and Isobel Caulfield on Face-book, and the marketing work of Trevor Bailey.
We have several actions in mind to attempt to improve customer numbers: (1) Renewed distribution of market fliers; (2) Examination of alternative sites (those closer to main thoroughfares); (3) addition of more community groups at markets (community groups will bring their own set of customers); (4) addition of more entertainment and/or buskers.
Help is needed in administering items (3) and (4).
Any suggestions from members are welcomed.

3.     Club Strategy
A standing committee is to be formed, reporting to President Ricardo, to review all aspects of the club structure and strategy, particularly in the context of recent edicts on meeting and membership options from Rotary International.
When we held the Changeover event from PP Mark Caulfield to Pres Ricardo Balancy on June 28, 2017, PEN Darius Mikolajewski was unable to attend because of injury to his foot.  Fortunately Darius was at this meeting tonight and felt he had some unfinished business to attend to.  So it was with big smiles between David and Darius that the Collar was placed around David’s neck. I took some pics of this happening and I am sure you will enjoy them.  PEN Darius will continue as Director for Fund Raising.
Bon Voyage - Lisa-Marie Bayer Exchange Student here from Germany

Lisa has been a really nice person to have visiting our Club for 2016-2017.  She complimented her host families and they in turn said she was a delight to have in their home.  Each week Lisa would give us a report on what she did at College, how she went with the sports she played and we saw some great videos of places she visited around Australia.  She surely covered a lot of ground.  Adelaide, Alice Springs, the Great Barrier Reef, Sydney and around Victoria to name a few.  I am sure when she gets back to her home and College they will be delighted to see how much of Australia she saw.  She will have some great stories.  Her blazer absolutely covered in badges of every kind.  I am not sure where she got them all from but I feel that blazer will have a lot of stories to tell. 


Farewell Michael John (Mick) Morland OAM - May he Rest in  Peace

Today I attended a Service celebrating Mick’s life held at The Church of Christ, Centre Road, Berwick.  Along with Mick’s friends and family were those who knew him from his involvement with the City of Casey and when was Mayor of the City of Casey, the Rotary Club of Berwick and other Rotary Clubs, the Inner Wheel Club of Berwick which Kay belongs to and 5 other IW Clubs, the Liberal Party, friends from the football club he was involved with and many more.  It is estimated that around 1,000 people were there.
The Service was well conducted by Reverend Ineke Gyles.  She has been a friend of Kay and Mick’s for a long time.  It really was a very special occasion.   Along with tears there were smiles too remembering Mick and who he was and what he contributed to all our lives in one way or another. Also it was a chance to meet up with friends that you haven’t seen for a while.  I feel sad that we will not be seeing Mick any more but at the same time I am very glad that I knew him and worked with him in Rotary. 
Happy Snaps
Apologies for July 5, 2017